Wednesday, February 01, 2006

A journey alone!

A journey alone after a long time. This time it was to Kochi for my project. So, packed water bottles and snacks in a small bag. Boarded Waynad express at 8:30 in the morning. Thankfully the train was at correct time. Sat comfortably in the ladies compartment. The train was not much crowded as it was a National holiday. Several girls and women were chit-chatting and gossiping. Felt a little bit drowsy. Had a small nap as the train moved on. "Will the train stop at Ernakulam town," I asked a girl nearby. she nodded confidently. A little later as the train reached Ernakulam junction, a few men dumped inside our compartment with loads of luggages. "Is this supposed to be a ladies compartment?" I asked the girl again. "Yes, it is. But, it becomes a general compartment in Ernakulam," said the girl. Didn't get the logic. Yet, gave a big smile to the girl.
The men who sat opposite to us seemed to be mischievous. Giggling and staring they asked "Evadayannu?" in Malayalam. "Why do you want to know it sir?" I asked the man. Thats it. He kept mum. Ignoring them, I wore my ID, getting prepared to get down at the station.
The day was not much hot as it used to be in Kochi. Walked on the road and asked a petty shop owner about the bus to Infopark. Transportation in Kochi is good. You need not wait for hours for a bus. so got a ticket to Infopark, a half-an-hour travel from the town. Hoardings all over the town showed that Kochi is slowly turning to be an IT hub. "There is no direct bus to Infopark madam. You have to catch an auto from the last stop," said the conductor. Thanked him and went near an autorickshaw. "Thirty Rs is too much. Take twenty," I argued with the man, which I do very well in Chennai. Finally he agreed for twenty-five. Infopark is extremely good. Colossal, glassy buildings with different names welcome you. Got permission from the security and met several employees. Finishing the work, my next destination was to meet Mr Paresh Palicha, a wheel-chair user and person affected by cerebral palsy. He assured me of helping in my project. Got a bus directly to Fort Kochi, another 45 minutes travel. Contemplating the newly-formed malls, shops and sea shore, I reached Fort Kochi. Felt a little bit hungry. There is one inconvenience in going alone. You will feel uncomfortable to have food alone. Anyhow, thinking that I have to travel more I went inside a restaurant and had chapati and chilly mushroom amidst the staring of people. Got a bus again to Mr Palicha's residence. Finding his address was not much difficult. Had a good time with him and his parents. Bidding him bye, I came back to the railway station. I enquired the next train to Kottayam at the information centre. "You have Waynad express at 5:00," said a lady. Had enough time to refresh. Boarded the train back to Kottayam.

1 comment:

കിച്ചു said...

Really nice article... Keep the flow. Now you became a good journalist. "Evidenanu" anxiecty of a tipical Malayali. Don't bothered about that.. take it cool.....
All the best for your projects....