Monday, December 12, 2005

Death and loneliness

Loneliness is a worst thing that can happen in a person's life. Everybody need a companioship, another heart to love them and care them. Life without this love and care is null and void. This is what I felt when I met T N George Benjamin, a great person who has lived for decades long in town. This 94-year-old choir master was lying in the bed with a dull look in his eyes. Having lost most of his memory, he cried out of pain at times. "I have no one with me. My father, mother, brothers and sisters, wife and now its my turn. I have lived a long life, now its time for me to depart," he said in a low, feeble voice. Mr Benjamin is known for his excellent voice and his inclination towards music. Came out with a heavy heart and eyes filled with tears.
J.T, a friend of him also lives alone. His wife died few years ago and his children live abroad. "Every person in life should settle everything before his death, as you cannot predict when death would come. Now, I have settled everything and waiting for my another world. What else is left for me here?" he asked. I had no words to tell. Life sometimes is horrible. Living alone is a real crucifixion for any person. Even when you die you would like someone by your side to care and console. I remember a poem of Ed meek

He was so old his bones seemed to swim in his skin.
And when I took his hand to feel his pulse
I felt myself drawn in. It was as faint
as the steps of a child padding across the floor in slippers,
and yet he was smiling.
I could almost hear a river running beneath his breath.
The water clear and cold and deep.
He was ready and willing to wade on in.

The only thing I could do is to pray for Mr Benjamin's soul to rest in peace..

1 comment:

കിച്ചു said...

ofcourse loniness is too bad. To some one to console is really nice and helpful. Anyway nice article and nice poem which suitable for the article.